Monday, April 2, 2012

3 months of blogging

I love reading other blog posts about ridiculous scientific (and unscientific) claims.  They are usually entertaining and always informative.  (3 notable examples: Neuroskeptic, Respectful Insolence, Neurocritic)

Originally when I started this blog (waaaay back in January 2012), I thought I would do something similar, find outrageous claims in the press or the scientific literature and explain what was wrong with them.  The "Cellular Scale" was supposed to imply the weighing of these claims and judging them on their scientific worth. This name would have been delightfully clever if I had actually stuck to this original plan. 

I suppose there are 3 reasons why this didn't happen:

1. I didn't immediately find many outrageous claims specific to neurons (most of the claims are a little 'zoomed out' from the cellular scale and involve whole human brain areas), so I only managed to produce one (not very) skeptical post

2. I got sidetracked by all  the   -   totally  -  cool   -   things  -  that  -  cells  -  do.

3. Mass Effect 3 came out, so I had to play it and blog about it....twice.


I am pretty happy with how the blog is going so far because I have:

A. Stuck to cellular-level neuroscience for the most part.  Even though my 3 most  -  popular  -  posts are not about cells at all.

B. Posted something about twice a week.

C. Not run out of ideas. I was worried about this at first, but now every time I hear something interesting I think 'I could blog about that' and actually have a list of ideas that is growing faster that I am posting.

Over the next 3 months I want to:

i. Get back to my original plan and clear up some misconceptions people might have about cells.

ii. Get more comfortable on Twitter. Right now it is like being at a party eavesdropping on a super-interesting conversation between people I don't know.

iii. Post more pictures of my dog. 

CellularDog


Thanks for reading!
TheCellularScale

© TheCellularScale

1 comment:

  1. I think we have a new super hero on our hands, Cellular Dog!

    ReplyDelete